Eyeglow Encounters

@apehuman- PM me more info on the camera and I'll talk it over with my audio/video guy.

My FLIR is the H-series 324 command I got for $6000 in 2010. It records video no audio to an SD card.

All my videos are more shaky and degraded to me after uploading on youtube. Even after they ask to fix the problem.

I don't have a Sound Cloud channel. I've been thinking about starting a website or teaming up with someone that I can put my videos, photos, audio, and field notes on. I've had a few offers, but I'm keeping my options open for right now.

@madison- In the spring I like to ride the bike trails at Silver Falls. It's a lot of fun and not very many people there at that time.

No worries, I was teasing about video cam...it is worth so little that keeping it for long night runs makes sense.

Go to www.weebly.com and you will find a very easy (free...but for bigger uploads $4/month) website builder and host...and it handles it all really,,,, pretty cheap and easy....

This is what I am using but b/c I have so many high rez photos I did pay the $4/month as it was just easier...oh well, more BF big dollars! But it is very easy to use, allows password, or unpublish etc....and a nice way to curate your stuff...there are others, but this seemed easiest for me.

Your FLIR sounds awesome, I suckered myself into buying used an old Argus 3 for mere hundreds....fireman type...its great really, just heavy and no video, so I have to put a cam in tandem and then it is ridiculous...but, I do like seeing deepr at night..and so I have to give it a shot before I resell with wiser wits!

Edited by apehuman

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

Apehuman and OHZoologist, thanks so much for starting this thread. It's been fascinating to read.

OHZoologist--the pictures you linked to in the first page of the thread are amazing! The topic of eye glow and eye shine is so fascinating. I'm excited to be learning about it, but I do have a little confusion about what part of the eye produces the glow. I hope you can help me understand.

In your posts to this thread, you repeatedly say that the eye glow comes from the whites of the eyes, and you can clearly see a pupil. I see a pupil in the pictures you linked to, but to me it looks like the eye glow is coming from the iris, or what is normally the colored part of the eye, rather than the whites. I hope you can help clear up my confusion. Am I looking at the picture wrong? Is it an optical illusion? I look at my own eyes, and even my dog's eyes, and the whites do not form a round shape around the iris. The shape of the glowing eye in the pictures you linked is round. The whites should form something like a triangle to each side of the iris.

It looks to me like the glow is coming from the iris, not the whites, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've said.

Edited by JenJen of Oldstones

Apehuman and OHZoologist, thanks so much for starting this thread. It's been fascinating to read.

OHZoologist--the pictures you linked to in the first page of the thread are amazing! The topic of eye glow and eye shine is so fascinating. I'm excited to be learning about it, but I do have a little confusion about what part of the eye produces the glow. I hope you can help me understand.

In your posts to this thread, you repeatedly say that the eye glow comes from the whites of the eyes, and you can clearly see a pupil. I see a pupil in the pictures you linked to, but to me it looks like the eye glow is coming from the iris, or what is normally the colored part of the eye, rather than the whites. I hope you can help clear up my confusion. Am I looking at the picture wrong? Is it an optical illusion? I look at my own eyes, and even my dog's eyes, and the whites do not form a round shape around the iris. The shape of the glowing eye in the pictures you linked is round. The whites should form something like a triangle to each side of the iris.

It looks to me like the glow is coming from the iris, not the whites, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've said.

I guess it is possible Jenjen. It is just the way I interpreted it. When I saw the glowing eyes they did have the shape of an eye and that is why I interpreted that way. At night the pupils and the iris' get large and can pretty much fill the eye so no "white" is visable in other animals (ie my cats)

it is tough to say from the photos if the light area is iris and the dark pupil, although i would guess so, but one can't make out the structure. Great resolution though really. I think this does illustrate though the need for a vocabulary and visual index of what people are witnessing, as a start anyway.

I am reading "Sasquatch, the apes among us" by John Green. I am only half way through it but this is what I have found so far:

Page 180: Oklahoma 1967; Its eyes, he said, were a glowing green.

page 209: Ohio 1963; large luminous eyes

page 210: Ohio 1973; stinking animal with red glowing eyes

page 223: Kentucky 1976; glowing green eyes

page 223: West Virginia 1960; Eyes that shine when there is no light to reflect from them

Edited by OHZoologist

The other guy would have a group of people sit around a campfire and they would look out in the brush behind the person sitting across from them at night. He said the eyeshine would stay at the edge of the firelight. I believe the eyeshine color was also a orangeish/reddish color.

This video looks a lot like what my friend described. I'll have to email this video too him.

I have also seen the glowing reddish lights as has been described I do associate them with SSq because they coincide with when I was around them. I cant explain it and I am not even sure its eye glow/reflection. Ill be honest when I saw it , it was one single anomaly as if one eye was closed. It baffles me. SSq I guess we will have to wait until we can study you closer.

Thanks OHZoo...nice list. The video also is interesting, but hard to understand the setting...the two double sets of "lights" seem to bounce in exact harmony to the camera as though they are reflections of some kind, but there is no border to the video so I can't tell ....although they looks like amber eyes, reflecting the fire? Or the camera lightsource (IR?)? And then there does appear to be some kind of smaller eyeshine.?

Assuming with the nightshot....amazing recording BTW spectacular!

We are a bit stalled in the FB group just trying to get started, and not sure if any that did not get added? But, still just collecting these and it is far more common than I thought . Certainly more so than the "wet nose" or rhinum I was trying to track down based on MM's take of Matilda...that has resulted in much fewer witnesses, just a handful that think that might have been the case. Most say too hairy to tell under nose...

Edited by apehuman

We are a bit stalled in the FB group just trying to get started, and not sure if any that did not get added?

I am not sure what the protocol is

I have found many more in John Green's book all with green or red eyes

I will check and find your FB name and add if it hasn't. You come to my mind as a serious editor as your background allows you to discuss the biological possibilities based on other species, etc! Hahah, but it does seem that taking this subject into a single article and get it posted here or somewhere makes sense. And, I am thinking about abandoning my website effort to some degree and switch to this...for a time anyway..as I am burned out on media editing/writing

I sent a friend request to your FB, you must accept then I think I can add you as it didn't take...

Edited by apehuman

• 1 month later...

Moneymaker recently interviewed with team tazer BFE and I noticed he is now also saying the same thing many of us are, or have filmed...that BFs do have eye glow..he used that term. He cites to Pruitts recent vids, which I have seen. He also describes just like I have the dimming and increasing effect, so guess that is an endorsement of the phenomenon, depends on how ones feels about MM..or not b/c this is documented by many now... at least a few dozen in video (for those of us that trust the sources) and the witnesses for decades who were just blown off...had to be reflection, etc...and it may be, just so well focused it can cast or appear to it's own light....

The Facebook attempt at a group specific to this resulted in nothing more than further collection of these witnesses, but noting more than here, or that we pulled from the web...and I should bring what is public domain here..lol or not...am kinda bogged down...but take a listen. He also talks about the Reconyx 60 trialcam (the same one I used, and sold pronto...and switched to covert flood, and then ambient Ir sensitive..and so on...lol I think that is in Habituating thread...) and agrees that the active IR for motion detect is the same as using a near IR light source and he finally concluded (lol sorry..it's been years with those cams!) they can see IR..... So, I think it is time for me to put out what I have on this in a coherent one page as it follows a fairly interesting deductive reasoning/evidence path...that yes, they can see near IR......enough of us are so saying (or failing with IR sources) and the tipping point may have been reached...

I do notice he has dropped reference to a bear like nose to the Matilda video on his tweets...lol...so...whatever...

but my eyeshine witness I do trust...and a few others in this thread and elsewhere...pretty amazing really.

http://bigfooteviden...-with-matt.html

Edited by apehuman

• 2 months later...

hey...does anyone else see a cone of light coming from this BF eye area..or can explain.. I am afraid to look longer and get disappointed . I am hoping so tho, b/c it would be testimony to my witness that light emanated from the Big Guy's blue eyes...in a discernible path to the objects it viewed within about 5 or 6 feet....yeah...it did..and this looks like something similar is going on.......assuming this is a BF and I am thinking it is... 

this is very exciting for me...this seems to show the same phenomenon....!!!....

Edited by apehuman