Eyeglow Encounters

Well, according to me yes, at a distance BF eyeshine looks white, and both warm or cool. And can "flash" briefly or seem to increase in intensity and decrease. Sometimes two source as eyes, sometimes just one. This is personal witness and also video IR sensitive with no light source beyond stars. Are these owls? I don't think so b/c I have tried to locate owls with flashlight at night and I am not finding these white "brighter" sources them, but as you can see I do need to video these owls here that I know where the nest is.

also in birding sights have never seen this comment wrt to owls, or video beyond what we all recognize as "eye shine"....and for me, probably location relative to placement of eyes indicate a large "something". My closer witnesses, under 30 yards and as close as 5' (me inside tent pop-out) were obvious colors, amber and blue/violet and had the same dimming and increasing, but in those case obvious two eyes attached to something 6-7' off ground. The amber witness extended and on two different trips and also included what I thought was Jr...at about 60 yards and 60degrees off from what I thought was MOM.... those witness I am very confident BFs...

the blue eye encounter I do feel was the adult Male head....but those witness were freaky in that there was an obvious "glow" or extension of light from the eyes...faint but there and on moonless night it was the only thing glowing...!

@apehuman

Here's a western screech owl I filmed with my Sony handycam in nightshot mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUZjCUCJEU

Here's a barred owl I filmed without nightshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkXNDsNSEpM

thank you so much! wow! It looks like you have the IR source light on?

How far apart are the screech owl eyes do you think? And also what focal length do you think you are at (and actual distance?) or zoom level! Thank you!

My vid (it's somewhere in the habituating thread, maybe five pages back?) shows very similar phenomenon, except no light source. The comparison of the scene in day makes an owl unlikely but still possible as adequate lower branches (or on ground on slope) and can only create a range for the source...maybe between 10 yards up to about 40 so the distance bwt eyes not possible to calculate. The other video, where I am walking around with flashlight also seems to defy owls, when compared to your night one without nightshot. .

This is the kind of library I hope to develop with this eye shine group (if you let me use them!)...and thank you so much! I can't recall if you feel you have witnessed unexplained eyeshine? Are you active in birding?

On what type of evidence to compare/share to my witness : I was reviewing video from the last trip. I set up the IR mode without the light source (so supernightshot, IR off) and blinded the camera for the night in a top corner of the tent trailer. Tucked up and in a corner hoping to just catch this "eyeshine" walk by trailer windows... Well, I didn't get that, instead i got about two seconds (honestly have not reviewed entire night...but this popped out on quicker review) of two clear spots of white reflected (!) on the ceiling of this trailer and in motion.....what? Is that worth sharing? Probably not to anyone but me, or another witness to this weird light.

To me, being in the situation, it appears this same two light source phenomena was beneath the window (5' at base) looking up into trailer and the "glow" reflected on the ceiling! How can I possibly present that? Why was the camera so hidden? LOL B/c they look in, and notice stuff....I have long history of trying to hide video cams and getting caught (from chinese mini to the night vision stuff)

Edited by apehuman

I couldn't have been more than 100 feet away from both owls.

The screech owl eyes can't be to far apart. A few inches maybe?

I like to film all wildlife. I'm still trying to get all the different wildlife from Oregon on video. Here's my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cmbigfoot

So far I have not experienced any unexplained eyeshine.

I couldn't have been more than 100 feet away from both owls.

The screech owl eyes can't be to far apart. A few inches maybe?

I like to film all wildlife. I'm still trying to get all the different wildlife from Oregon on video. Here's my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cmbigfoot

So far I have not experienced any unexplained eyeshine.

I will check it out, as understanding the night world is critical and birding falls down at night even, many things we don't know about night bird behaviors. I hate to ask, as am sure your witness abounds here and i am just not connecting pennames, but have you witnessed BF eyeshine or eye contact or witnessed what you thought were BFs, if so under what circumstances? LOl It's fair not to answer as rewriting gets tiresome especially when my poor memory is the cause!

Whoa! You look close to getting all the wildlife in Oregon - Really quite a channel of original work. It is a great part of BFing for me, trying to video wildlife,. I don't have that quantity or quality, but I did get a 50+ turkeys leaving their roosts this last trip...awesome for me! About 15 minutes of boring for others ...but plan to (when I am able to quit focusing on BFs..soon I hope) join the media libraries of wildlife in sound

argg , need my glasses, too many edits!

Edited by apehuman

I have had three seperate night time sightings and one daytime sighting. At night I never saw any eyeshine or eyeglow either did the other people that witnessed the same BF's. The daytime sighting the BF was about 50 yards away and the eye area was very dark.

But the other guys have seen BF eyeshine at a different time. One guy spotlighted a BF on the edge of a meadow and he said it turned and bent down all in one motion. The eyeshine was very bright and I believe he said it was a orangeish color and as it turned the color went to a reddish or it was the other way around.

The other guy would have a group of people sit around a campfire and they would look out in the brush behind the person sitting across from them at night. He said the eyeshine would stay at the edge of the firelight. I believe the eyeshine color was also a orangeish/reddish color.

Thank you for response. In your sighting did you have flashlights? Were you seeing a dark figure or such? What was the moon phase, etc?

Your other witnesses are the type I want to connect in this group, well you too actually, any witness of the eyes and/or witnesses of odd lights in BF areas.....

Bipedalist did set up a Facebook account...and now ready to connect people. I am Maxwell David on FB with (Apehuman) next to name...if you friend request we can add those who desire a deeper discussion over time. Only requirement is you are open to these other witnesses (not committed to it can't be! but healthy skepticism OK we are all baffled and want to pin this down) and don't bring affiliations/bias politically (lol or Bigfootery, smack talk etc) into it? Bipedalist will correct me if I got that wrong.

Edited by apehuman

What puzzles me, is the fact that eyeshine is not consistent with BF sightings? One would think, if it was a trait of the species, that all or none would be consistently noticeable?

That's weird. I've only brought that up 2 or 3 times now. :geek:

CM, when the screen goes dark, that's OUT of nightmode? That is really great. I want one :) Did look somewhat like that but what I see in yours is the owl moving very quickly (birdlike, imagine that). The moves I saw were slow, like slow motion. Beautiful owls, though, I find them fascinating creatures. Thanks for those videos! I have also heard them out in the woods, but it was the same night I got the whistling so I am unsure it was actually owls. So confusing! You're north of me, right? I think I'll enjoy watching your Oregon wildlife video! Can't wait, but it's almost my kid's turn on the computer. I'll watch it later. What specific type of Sony handicam do you have? Is there something I should look for in one? I am saving up for a video camera - I'm definitely wanting the GoPro Camera but I have a friend who works at a second hand electronics store who get's an employee discount and dibs on donations... he's gonna keep a look out for me :)

I think I'll head back out to that same spot in the dark and see what there is to see, without the fog. I know exactly where I parked, within a foot, so it shouldn't be hard to see next time.

Guest thermalman

Maybe your subliminal messages sparked my question........LOL ;)

BFF Patron

What puzzles me, is the fact that eyeshine is not consistent with BF sightings? One would think, if it was a trait of the species, that all or none would be consistently noticeable? Much like the electric eel.

And yet I saw the same creatures from night to night with the same bipedal stance, the same head-turns and the same fluorescent green eyeglow, truly amazing isn't it! Just what we need now, a homogenized, statistically averaged version of somebodies theory of what a consistent BF sighting should be like including eyeshine/glow that's never seen a BF or the phenomenon, truly amazing!

Edited by bipedalist

Madison..on the old Sony's...be very careful and make sure it has the "nightshot" or "super nightshot" function..not all do. Even with the HD cams it is variable with Sony.

But the standard definition camera with a hard drive can be had on ebay for under $100....and since this is low light night stuff, not sure the HD required? On the other hand an HD with nightshot (I own now...but it was pricey back two years ago - $500 used) on ebay probably still about $300 used and with the HD often won't get but 10x zoom...and the standard def have 40x...so tradeoffs...

If one has the IR light source on you will see green images, with the light source off, but still in IR mode, the camera is just sensitive to light/thermal wavelengths up through the near IR (which we can't see). So any IR source will show up (you can uncover hidden trailcams I suppose at night?) as well as visible light, so stars may come thru (bright ones) or a lamppost light, or if you have a fire you could probably shoot the scene around it with decent results. I don't know but it looks to me they are shooting in an IR sensitive mode on Finding Bigfoot and that's why those little IR lights always show up in distance (or on those harnesses!).

A 30G harddrive (my old sony) will hold about 7 hrs of high quality recording (and much longer in long playing) and has benefit of stereo recording.

Edited by apehuman

and I thought I have answered this to best of my ability. You need to differentiate for one. Eye shine there must be some sort of light in the vicinity usually in line with the observer and the eyes. This light can be IR as well as regular light. Eye glow there is NO source of light anywhere including IR. Stars do not count. I experienced eye glow in Total Darkness. Maybe it is an adaptation to TD and is only used in that situation. It appeared that the eye glow was shut off when I saw it. In eye shine you are not going to see it if you are out of line with the light and the eyes.

CM, when the screen goes dark, that's OUT of nightmode? That is really great. I want one :) Did look somewhat like that but what I see in yours is the owl moving very quickly (birdlike, imagine that). The moves I saw were slow, like slow motion. Beautiful owls, though, I find them fascinating creatures. Thanks for those videos! I have also heard them out in the woods, but it was the same night I got the whistling so I am unsure it was actually owls. So confusing! You're north of me, right? I think I'll enjoy watching your Oregon wildlife video! Can't wait, but it's almost my kid's turn on the computer. I'll watch it later. What specific type of Sony handicam do you have? Is there something I should look for in one? I am saving up for a video camera - I'm definitely wanting the GoPro Camera but I have a friend who works at a second hand electronics store who get's an employee discount and dibs on donations... he's gonna keep a look out for me :)

I think I'll head back out to that same spot in the dark and see what there is to see, without the fog. I know exactly where I parked, within a foot, so it shouldn't be hard to see next time.

The camera is in nightshot the whole time. When it lights up it is because I'm shining a spotlight towards the owl and that's why it is moving around the way it is. lol

Saw-Whet and Northern Pygmy owls answer my whistles real easy. I've been trying to get someone to film me as I call one and it flies down at me with my FLIR like what this great horned owl did. Do you know what species of owl you heard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihFrqQl4PI

Yes, I'm north of you. I'm not to far from Silver Falls State Park. Outside Silverton.

This is the Sony Handycam that I used since 2001. I wouldn't recommend getting one of these. I really need a new one.

That is an old one! I have a deal for you on a 2005 model with 30G and three long running batteries..SD, but 40X zoom..teehee.. for...hummmm...how much can you spend?

on the FLIR video, it looks like you are shooting the FLIR screen with your video cam (what model FLIR?)? I did that once also, and found I didn't need night shot b/c of screen light and so in regular mode picks up the color palette. But, mine was not so steady, are you tripod mounted or in tandem on a rail? also - I am not getting any audio with that..

So, if that is your personal FLIR that explains the as yet to be replaced Sony!

Do you have a Sound Cloud channel, I 'd like to hear your owl song recordings. I have some I can share as well if you are interested.

Edited by apehuman

Hey, thanks for the camera advice, all, I appreciate it! I'll start saving my pennies.

I thought you were outside of Silverton. I had a creepy incident in Silver Falls State Park... walked with my son a few years ago all the way around the falls, we were the ONLY one's there... and felt watched the whole time. I was so focused on holding my son's hand - tightly - that I didn't dare look around much! Didn't really want to! Very creepy... queu the bigfoot scary music.... :) That must be a great area up there to go bigfooting at... I'm on the southern end of that part of the forest, north of Eugene/Springfield mostly and out towards the Sisters.