Eyeglow Encounters

Whew! You all have a lot of eye science knowledge. I've read the posts - curious because my experience, with what I'm thinking was a bigfoot, was seeing eyes. So, here's what happened:

My daughter (22y.o.) and I were running on a two-ish lane cinder dirt road, at around 11:30 at night, in Central Oregon. We were doing a relay, and she decided to run that leg with me to keep me company in the dark no man's land. Other than the speedy runner who passed us a few minutes earlier, there really was no one around. Our team van was at the exchange point over two miles away. The road was a slight uphill grade for 6 miles, and we were about 4 1/2 mile into it if I recall - going pretty slow uphill, breathing hard. The only things to hear were our breathing, occasional complaining about the damned squishy dirt, and the crunching of our shoes on the road. It was within a day or so of a full moon. I was wearing an small LED headlight, that illuminated the road right in front of us. It created a sort of beam that made seeing anything else pretty impossible, and I had it pointed about ten feet in front of me when my head was straight on.

My daughter first saw the "eyes" off the road, on the right. She said something along the lines of "whoa!", as it then came into the road and crossed it about 30 or so feet in front of us. We both kept up our slow run as it crossed, while both eyes stayed in a position of looking at us the whole way. As we passed where it had crossed I said "what was that?!" Daughter's reply: "A firefly! A really big firefly!" Uh, nope. She wasn't serious, just scared. Me too. I looked left into the woods - which I couldn't see because of my lighted tunnel vision, and saw the eyes staring back at us from what we guessed was a good 100+ feet away.

So, what makes us think it was a bigfoot? Two things, primarily: The eyes were absolutely level all the way across the road. Very noticeably so. No up and down movement at all, as we'd expect from any of the local critters. And anyway, they appeared to be at least eight feet off the ground. The darkness and slight rise in the road make any distance and height determinations difficult. (we were very close though, so the height of "much taller than us" was accurate) They were an orangey-red, and so glowing that instead of two distinct circles, a bit of, hmm, how to describe, aura of color came from each eye toward the center.

I'd welcome any opinions about what it could have been We're running the relay again this summer, and I'd sure like to know what's out there. (or maybe not)

..it is hard for someone new to BF world to even begin to weigh credibility in the many websites/books and we tend to rely on the, I don't know what,..on the most vocal/popular BFers?

and then having my own repeated witness..to make that leap to wow, it's true! .so it is a thing in BF articles/anything....getting it to rise to conventional wisdom to then be further tested by other BFers...?

So, just asking your opinion here, knowing there's no way short of having a specimen on a slab to examine to know, why do many witnesses (even at night) never see or experience what others describe as eye glow? Why would some BF's do this and not others? Should it not be a universally used attribute of stalking thru the woods at night? Just wondering.

So, just asking your opinion here, knowing there's no way short of having a specimen on a slab to examine to know, why do many witnesses (even at night) never see or experience what others describe as eye glow? Why would some BF's do this and not others? Should it not be a universally used attribute of stalking thru the woods at night? Just wondering.

Well I was afraid to say this. But when I experienced my glowing eyes, it seemed to turn them on and then turned them off. I was just standing there and suddenly there were the eyes staring up at me (it was looking up from inside a rock shelter and I was on top of it), looked at me for a few seconds and they literally turned off.

BTW checked out your website, AWESOME!

Guest Thepattywagon

This whole 'eye shine' thing is confusing to me. I always thought that in order for an eye to reflect in any capacity that there has to be some ambient light in the general direction that the animal is looking.

If BF eyes shine in what we consider to be pitch black dark, would not that impede their ability to hunt at night if there eyes are glowing?

To "gotafeelin" LOl great name for the content of your post and it does leave one with that feeling, compelling for a one time potential witness. The comment "firefly" I feel significant b/c it was spontaneous, in the setting, and also extremely descriptive of what you were seeing...that it is more glow than reflected shine as we have all witnessed..

here is my thinking today and a bit from an email I just sent a long-time researcher, not in the field so much anymore, had been in the past with an encounter, but it did not include this type witness...they are having a hard time with it...as are we all!

That is the point...to bring this out, and examine it. So thank you.:

"personally I think a bio-chemical explanation is eloquent for reasons we discuss...it could easily fit any evolutionary model within any kind of primate, even human as those type of gene changes are minute (its about protein coding we know little!) and we have no idea from the fossil record of bio-chemical or soft tissue activity really....this ability could be in the primate line historically and we just cant "see" it....so...?

I don't think BFs are 100% H.sapien sapiens .. I don't know what they are, but they seem more like us than not, and yet more like a great ape than not...if one looks at all the things we consider to classify..whether anthropologist or zoologist...they are still for me...apehuman"

that said, I think we can also demonstrate the night vision and near IR vision as within human range (and certainly nocturnal primates?)...so

maybe we shall be able after all this to present some hypothesis? or several?

I do not discount yet the quartz rocks...I have used them myself, recovered from a surface ruin on private property - I am not recalling the "glow stone" tribal name...but they are small round smooth rose quartz and one can "fire them up"

YES to the "coming on and going off".. I have a video diary the first morning after such an encounter.. I called it "power up" which is why no one will ever see or hear that diary!

shoot lost the last part..so retype:

bio-chemical can fit well...b/c of the time for molecules to build gives impression of powering up and also time to dim...flashes could be in concert with controlled blinking at peak molecule release...

that fits some of us especially OhZoo

but also the super reflective idea works with a re-focused light..for the "light track" witness and also colors, coming via the iris (rather than whites)..

or LOL both?

anyway...hoping more come out and share..

but if the bio-chem reaction were actually just in a lubricant of the eye..well then both witnesses could be explained//b/c the color and the whites would come through, but the pupil remain dark b/c of depth (no surface reflectivity (LOL my word .it keeps getting spell check.) to combine with whatever bio-chem reaction in the fluid?), ohhh. this feels like a natural potential hypothesis ..anyone? I just am not educated enough, but someone reading this is, or we shall become so..

Edited by apehuman

:) I'm not too sure about me becoming "educated enough". I'll just keep reading and trying to follow along.

Apehuman: Not that it matters probably, but neither of us have ever seen a firefly. I think my daughter just had a need for a quick "explanation". We had been worried about bears. And badgers.

LOL, never seen a firefly?.oh gee you are missing something, they are the little fairies of the evening....! But, she has so witnessed their representation on TV/movies, books...so some frame of reference, but I will toss that out and as referring to her startled state.

Great post BTW!

We do not have fireflys at my site, however, as it is arid western forest, so for me that's not a possibility either. But, I am sure in history more than one witness to this has been told it was a firefly! No doubt...or what else? Glowing fungus...anything else we know make lights at night? Glowing frogs..there might be some out there....lol, but none match our witness enough to hang a hat on

Ok, I have to sign off....I must! gracias y adios

anything else we know make lights at night?

I found a glowing worm last summer but they don't float.

gota when you turned your head did you see the glowing before it was in your headlamps light arc? Can't imagine seeing that in the middle of a race! Great story thanks for sharing.

Goony - my daughter saw the eyes without my light shining in that direction, and the light really only shines about ten feet or so. Obviously there is some illumination beyond that, but the light is much more of a direct beam, that I use to see the road right in front of me. When I looked up the road a bit, the eyes were in darkness, not appearing to be in my light - if that makes sense. I should go out at night and experiment with how far it shines.

Guest toejam

Eye shine or eye glow has been reported again and again by countless witnesses.

It's a reality and will one day be known among science.

No external light source is needed.

I've captured it very briefly on two instances while video taping.

One's online, the other one I haven't uploaded yet.

Both instances involved IR with no other light source.

No external light source is needed.

I've captured it very briefly on two instances while video taping.

One's online, the other one I haven't uploaded yet.

Both instances involved IR with no other light source.

And there you have your light source.

Guest toejam

Nope. Didn't have that the first time with the bright glowing orange.

As much as you might like to deny this trait, it's very real. Maybe you'll experience it one day.

There was absolutely no light source when I saw the glowing eyes. It was a heavy overcast. I could barely see my hand in front of my face. I had to "feel" my way out to the rock shelter. It is not eye shine. Eye shine comes from the pupils. This was from the "whites" of the eyes. I could see the dark pupils within the glowing eyes.

You see I have seen flashes. Bright flashes. It is almost exactly where I saw my first two BFs. The flashes always occur from exactly the same place. It is a flash like a flash bulb and rotates from left to right. What is really weird is that there is this lagging afterglow that trails behind it which makes no sense. The light itself is very metallic looking like it had mercury in it.

A friend told me that he has seen them standing less than 20 feet from him in his yard & do the bright eye flashing thing. He said they can definitely turn it on & off.

I haven't seen that, at least not close, but I believe him.