The "How To Hunt" Channel and Sasquatch Commentary

WSA

Did you listen to the whole segment, the whole letter he reads?   Worthwhile.   It tells you who his sources are, who he is relying on.    That he considers someone's character assassinations of John Green and Bob Gimlin credible shows he has been lead astray .. badly.   I do not think we will see anything of substance from Steve Isdahl.  :( 

MIB

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MIB said:

Did you listen to the whole segment, the whole letter he reads?   Worthwhile.   It tells you who his sources are, who he is relying on.    That he considers someone's character assassinations of John Green and Bob Gimlin credible shows he has been lead astray .. badly.   I do not think we will see anything of substance from Steve Isdahl.  :( 

MIB

I honestly haven't watched a complete video of his over the last several weeks.  I watched most of the videos discussing the skulls, but that's it.  

I will have to look at this one tonight.

1 hour ago, MIB said:

Did you listen to the whole segment, the whole letter he reads?.........

This is the only one of his videos I watched completely, and it will be the last I bother with.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Huntster said:

This is the only one of his videos I watched completely, and it will be the last I bother with.

Happy to report that I have not watched any of them...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Admin
8 minutes ago, Redbone said:

Me neither, I can't get past 45 seconds of the initial rant...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Redbone said:

Well, at this point you are not missing anything at all.

I was a bit shocked and I don't shock easily. The letter he read seemed disjointed, i.e. bringing in something about John Green's father being a figure in the Canadian government and being responsible for the death's of huge numbers of Chinese laborer's. The whole thing seemed pointless other than heaping abuse on people living and dead as well as saying Bobbi Short's death was a murder rather than due to a heart affliction ostensibly related to consumption of Mexican sourced cherry tomatoes. I can't claim Jeff Meldrum as a close friend, but have had both in person and email conversations with him and found him to be friendly, decent and not in the least bit arrogant even when I displayed crass ignorance. Putting out something derogatory about Bob Gimlin is just stupid, it's like telling someone that their beloved grandfather was a mob hit man or something equally reprehensible. Bridges were burned with that letter and I don't see much way they can be rebuilt.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Airdale said:

I was a bit shocked and I don't shock easily. The letter he read seemed disjointed, i.e. bringing in something about John Green's father being a figure in the Canadian government and being responsible for the death's of huge numbers of Chinese laborer's. The whole thing seemed pointless other than heaping abuse on people living and dead as well as saying Bobbi Short's death was a murder rather than due to a heart affliction ostensibly related to consumption of Mexican sourced cherry tomatoes. I can't claim Jeff Meldrum as a close friend, but have had both in person and email conversations with him and found him to be friendly, decent and not in the least bit arrogant even when I displayed crass ignorance. Putting out something derogatory about Bob Gimlin is just stupid, it's like telling someone that their beloved grandfather was a mob hit man or something equally reprehensible. Bridges were burned with that letter and I don't see much way they can be rebuilt.  

I think that he originally tapped into the underlying dislike for the BFRO that permeates much of the Bigfoot community and really focused on highlighting that with his videos..  That translated into subscriptions and views for him, so he ran with it.  

Combine that desire for YouTube celebrity with what appears to be a naturally juvenile and abrasive personality...and you end up where Isdahl is right now.  I think that he equates insulting known names in the field with YouTube success, so he is going to continue to push that envelope.

His apparent rabid dislike for Meldrum, Gimlin, and Green is so strange.  Disagree with their positions all day long, but the three of them come across as respectful and courteous men.  Why would personal attacks be necessary here?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I think that he originally tapped into the underlying dislike for the BFRO that permeates much of the Bigfoot community and really focused on highlighting that with his videos..  That translated into subscriptions and views for him, so he ran with it.  

Combine that desire for YouTube celebrity with what appears to be a naturally juvenile and abrasive personality...and you end up where Isdahl is right now.  I think that he equates insulting known names in the field with YouTube success, so he is going to continue to push that envelope.

His apparent rabid dislike for Meldrum, Gimlin, and Green is so strange.  Disagree with their positions all day long, but the three of them come across as respectful and courteous men.  Why would personal attacks be necessary here?

If your goal is seeking attention? Even bad press is good. If you wanna gain lots of attention to yourself? Go after the giants in the field!

I think I had this guy pegged from day one. Lots of pretty backdrops, lots of hot air...... little else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So for a person who wasn't really a bigfoot guy until a couple of years ago.

This Bobbie Short researcher who he's talking about ,was she legit ? 

Was there some kind of feud going on with her and Meldrum , Green and such ?

Edited by 7.62

SSR Team
3 hours ago, MIB said:

MIB

"led astray .. badly." is a great choice of words for this and I suspect, pretty accurate.

Steve Isdahl is demonstrating the Dunning-Kruger effect very well.

He does not know much in the field (the science, the researchers, the history, etc.) and is making statements and drawing conclusions without much evidence.

Just because one had an encounter, does not make one an expert. 

Just because he is an expert big game hunter does not make him a BF expert.

He claims that he is not a BF research expert and is just reading emails.

But, the minute he starts drawing lines on the sand on who/what is the truth and who/what is a liar, is when he is pushing the scales with his "expert" opinion.

It is sad to see him go down the conspiracy route - where everything is possible and nothing can be proven.

That is what happens when you don't have the wisdom to discern the possible/probable from the impossible/improbable.

Dunning-Kruger Effect.png

1 hour ago, norseman said:

If your goal is seeking attention? Even bad press is good. If you wanna gain lots of attention to yourself? Go after the giants in the field!

I think I had this guy pegged from day one. Lots of pretty backdrops, lots of hot air...... little else.

Valid point with the hot air comment.

If you edited out all of his usual oft repeated catchphrase filler words (brave, hardworking people!) and random attacks on other people you would be left with only about 2 minutes or so of content.  

Content which he is too busy to vet and doesn't care if it is right or wrong... because did he mention that he is too busy to care?  

I had some hope for him and his channel, but he turned out to be the shock-jock wannabe of the Bigfoot world.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

An in-law who has met him said that Isdahl was the most arrogant fellow he had ever met. Seems to me that the man over-values his own intelligence and understanding by an amount that is off the scale. It was interesting to hear him talk of his own encounters, and those of folks he knows, but I have no idea how much is hot air; I am not encouraged by the quality of his rants. I am quite familiar with some of the locations he talks about, so I consider activity there to be quite probable, but his own accounts - still on my maybe list. The letters he reads -  a bigger maybe. His stuff on John Green etc.? I can't really comment, since I clicked it off when he got to Bobby Short, because it had already started to smell bad.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Valid point with the hot air comment.

If you edited out all of his usual oft repeated catchphrase filler words (brave, hardworking people!) and random attacks on other people you would be left with only about 2 minutes or so of content.  

Content which he is too busy to vet and doesn't care if it is right or wrong... because did he mention that he is too busy to care?  

I had some hope for him and his channel, but he turned out to be the shock-jock wannabe of the Bigfoot world.

If he is too busy? Then why the 10,000 Bigfoot videos right?

• Haha 1