Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

I've always thought it was some sort of greeting type of salutation. Either indicating they know you are around or anouncing their presence, just my dos centavos, tho. So did your dogs accompany you? and if so did they act differently?

Guest Maggie

No,one of my sons babysat them over Friday night until I got back Saturday evening.  I like to take them with me but had a couple of graduation receptions for my nieces and didn't want to leave them alone out at the family house. That and in their old age my parents aren't as fond of canine company lol.  Though when they are on vacation, I always bring the dogs. Hope to have a chance to do that a time or two this summer and once in the fall.

I am not sure if they are announcing their presence to me or if they are just not concerned with me hearing them? I have noticed that when a "new" person comes into the family (in this case a son in law) something, however small, always happens. Like it stirs them just a bit, curiousity or otherwise I don't know. When my grandson was born and first brought out there, that night the distinctive smell was around.

wow those are keen observations. They must watch you folks all the time. If only that behavior could be tapped into somehow.

a couple nights ago at work, out on the deck having a smoke around 3 am, I heard a combination scream/growl. The neighborhood dogs started barking agressively, then instantly shut up. It was wierd, but inconclusive. Just one more incident to add to the list.

Guest Maggie

Well probably anyplace there is activity, the Sasquatch are watching what is going on? I suppose if they have been  in this area as long as I think they have, it could be interesting to watch the comings and goings and changes of different families? Again though, IMO. I sure don't claim to have all the answers, just observations made over time. And what "I" think it means could be something entirely different as to what it actually DOES,lol.  

Very cool about what happened to you! Question, when you heard the growl did, what was your first reaction? Only asking because when I had heard that growl by the bathroom window, it kind of vibrated and I was terrified. Just wonder how often they use infrasound? Well, make that IF they use infrasound as that is as much speculation as anything else I suppose.

LOL, I believe I have been concentrating on this subject too much because when I put the ac in my window a couple of weeks ago, I HAD to figure out a way to effectively block the upper part of the window so nothing could look in and this is on the second floor. I said to myself "paranoia much?????"  :)

Well when I heard it, and it wasn't that close, maybe 1/2 mi. away, I was instantly alert. Then the dogs drowned out any other sound, until they instantly went quiet. It was kind of strange.

Guest Maggie

I think how the dogs react is a very good indicator. More often than not, the ones I have had react strangely when I suspect a Sas is around. They generally do go silent though I have had a few that go into an absolute fury as well. They also, almost without fail, remain extremely nervous for at least a couple days afterward and don't want to stray too far from the back door.

I've never had much reactions from my dogs, except the elevated allert type barking. And at the time we thought it was due to bears, and may have been after all. Except when we looked for bear tracks the next day, we found another type. We had 2 rottweiler brothers, that loved walks in the woods. They would usually run around doing their thing. But on some walks, they would stay close to us in front and behind, in a real protective mode. At those times I never noticed anything unusual , like sounds or smells, etc. They must have sensed something we couldn't.

Guest Maggie

Nice, Rottweilers are decent protection dogs. I haven't had a real chance to see how my Cane Corso reacts but hopefully will have more opportunities this summer into fall.

At a year old, he is definitely protective of me, so it will be interesting.

I do absolutely think that dogs can sense things we cannot. I told about an encounter that happened quite a while back already, but the dogs I had then were foaming they were so worked up/scared/upset. They were nervous before I even noticed anything.

Oh, kind of a noxious smell last night, it smelled similiar to what I have come to view as a sasquatch but not exactly so it could very well have been some other animal.

This morning at work, about 5:20 am, we had a bear in the front yard. About a 200 pounder. He was just standing in the yard sniffing a honeysuckle bush. Kind of exciting, wisht I had a camera on me. I was downwind, and could smell a slight musky odor, but nothing like what I would associate with a BF. I would have liked to see how my dog reacted to him.

Guest Maggie

Yeah, I think wildlife is making a comeback in some areas? Where I grew up, we never heard of there being any bear or cougars or even coyotes. Once in a while a bobcat. Though sometimes I wonder if the presence of that other animal/being/what have you was the reason for that? We did have deer, raccoons, fox and all sorts of birds. There is a beaver dam by the creek now and that was never there.

So maybe I need to back up with this, we didn't seem to have the larger known predators that we do now. I do think it's kind of cool but have a healthy respect for them! (Not like those tourists in Yellowstone getting close to the bison for pictures. WTF????)

Anyway, a couple nights ago when there was a smell, I can't say for certain what it was. Like I mentioned, similiar to what I have smelled before but not enough that I could say it was the same animal or even the same species,lol.

How have your dogs generally reacted to bear? I am wracking my brain trying to remember if any of mine ever had an encounter with one....maybe I am getting old,lol.  I do know by and large, they haven't reacted to coyotes very well.

well, I am old already.  And in that time we have had several dogs with various reactions to different animals. I could be a lengthy post, would you rather I pm it to you?

Guest Maggie

Na, it might be good to have here for people in this area to compare with? If you don't mind?

LOL, I just turned 50 in April so feeling a bit mortal at the moment I guess.(I know that is NOT old.)

I was just thinking of something and I don't believe I posted it here. If I have, please put it down to faulty brain synapses!

A few years back, I remember hearing the neighbors dogs barking when the coyotes were howling. All of a sudden I heard

a commotion like something was being killed and I attributed it to the coyotes getting one of the neighbors Boston Terriers.

I told my parents the next day and a while back they told me that, NO, the neighbors were not missing any dogs.

So, are coyotes on a BF menu??? I can only assume it was one of the coyotes dying as dogs were all accounted for.

Does anything else predate on coyotes?? My mind comes back to this every so often.

I only know of wolves killing coyotes. But they do fight over kills of their own. I guess the possibility exists for a bobcat or cougar being the culprit also.

Generally our dogs, when young would bark at any deer, turkey, or coyote ect. that they saw. Later when they were a little older and the novelty wore off they ignore those animals. Even when the coyotes howl. Once in awhile when the coyotes howl, or wolves, a few of our dogs would join in. Especially if I got them going.

Then suddenly they started going berserk, usually in the spring, and werre in high alert mode. We could hardly calm them down. They were letting us know something wasn't right. Usually it started further down the road, you could hear neighbors dogs barking the same way, and you could tell whatever it was was coming our way. Ocasionally you could hear one of the neighbors shooting their guns off, I assume to scare off the intruder. Being it was spring we figured a bear fresh out of hibernation.

Several times, the next morning, me and my wife's cousin would go into the woods looking for tracks. There is a muddy spot by our irrigation ditch that is always good for tracks. As I checked that one morning, I found a perfect squatch type track. 17.5" x 8" 5 toes, and fairly deep in the mud. My Rott almost stepped in it, but I grabbed him just in time. I didn't have any casting medium, but it was a perfect track for that. I did go back & get my wife's digital camera, and a tape measure. She came out and found another track about 5 or 6 feet further, that I missed. I posted the pics. in Bigtex's thread, when he asked for track pics.

Guest Maggie

Yeah, I wondered about that and asked the question because I believe at that time we had been having some activity? Not sure if we have wolves here or not, after hearing what I did Thanksgiving night I figure I just don't know!! 

Berserk is definitely the word for how my dogs have reacted often over the years.(Though there have been those that went silent with fear) I had never literally seen a dog so worked up they foamed at the mouth until that night I heard something walking around the house.(my place, not the family place)

That is COOL about the track!! :)  I was seven years old when I saw a track and I never forgot it.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you see the track?

• salubrious unlocked this topic