Finding Bigfoot

Re: infrared vision -

Though rare, there are cases of humans exhibiting tetrachromancy, or the presence of a fourth set of cone cells. Though this normally manifests itself in greater color differentiation, it could also (theoretically?) result in a greater range of vision into the infrared or ultraviolet spectra.

Example:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Half-of-the-Women-See-More-Colors-than-the-Rest-of-the-People-58351.shtml

Related: Mice can be bred for trichromancy (they are normally dichromats) Also, color blindness cured in primates

http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~koch/CR/CR-color-blindness-10.pdf

I have a neighbor who once saw Bigfoot for a split second about a

quarter mile from here (El Dorado Co, CA). He watches all the Bigfoot

shows he finds on TV and loves Finding Bigfoot. He thinks they are

shooting it straight and getting closer. (eyeroll)

He is a sweet guy who cannot stand ridicule; so he only talks about

Bigfoot to me.

Noisy AP Finding Bigfoot vs Patterson/Gimlin already-found-her:

Patty looked real to me and I never doubted her. However, years passed

as I mulled it over, and there was a real problem with PGF: Two cowboys

riding thru the woods on horses = A whole lotta Noise. How did they

manage to "sneak up" on her? Clearly, they could not.

I don't know who said it in which thread here, but it was suggested that

Patty had a young one nearby and chose to lead the men away from it.

That may be it, but if so, I think it was a grandchild of hers.

http://themunnsreport.com/tmr_v2_design_003.htm

Links to The Munns Report: Release Number 1H - Two Year Review, Part 2.

On page 6, Bill explains why Patty looks old to him.

I watch the film again and wonder why I never noticed that. He's right; she

doesn't look the strong, young acrobat. If she was old or injured, she may well

have been hard of hearing.

Thank you, Bill. :gamer:

Guest wudewasa

Oonjerah,

Good critical thought!

If Patty was the real McCoy, the above variables that you addressed make sense. However, remember that the cowboys were on horseback, and perhaps the equines masked their presence via scent and sound long enough for Gimlin and Co. to get the jump on her.

Plus she was near a creek and running water can make a lot of noise. It's something that I use when deer hunting to mask my own sounds and you would be surprised at how close you can get to animals using this technique. Of course prey animals are also aware of this and can be on a higher alert when near running water.

Guest BFSleuth

Patty looked real to me and I never doubted her. However, years passed

as I mulled it over, and there was a real problem with PGF: Two cowboys

riding thru the woods on horses = A whole lotta Noise. How did they

manage to "sneak up" on her? Clearly, they could not.

As I understand it, when Roger and Bob came into view of Patty she was in the stream just past a log jam from their view as they came around a bend. The sound of running water would have masked the sound of approaching horses.

There have been a number of bigfoot sighting reports from horseback. Deer and other wild game will often allow you to ride right past them without spooking, but if you try to walk past them on your own two legs they run away. "Sneaking up" on game with a horse is routine.

Two cowboys riding thru the woods on horses = A whole lotta Noise.

Horses are not that loud. And something on four feet sounds more natural than men on two feet bushwacking.

Horses are not that loud. And something on four feet sounds more natural than men on two feet bushwacking.

Precisely.

When I started bushwhacking, long ago, a fundamental motivation was to surprise the critters in their strongholds.

No soap. Except for flushing a mourning dove from a nest full of eggs at waist level (sorry!), all my significant wildlife sightings have been on trails. The animals that I have seen bushwhacking were on trails I wasn't on.

As noted above, it's well known that one will see more critters on horseback than one will walking. In fact it was the key ingredient in Patterson's success.

Edited by DWA

I can't believe they do when no other mammal on earth can, especially primates.

Many mammals can see into the near IR range. Infrared just means that it's below the human range of detection, not the mammalian range of detection. I have several units of two different models of Reconyx game cams which utilize an IR flash. I can assure you, after years of deploying them and thousands of pictures of wildlife, that many animals can see into the IR range.

Many mammals can see into the near IR range. Infrared just means that it's below the human range of detection, not the mammalian range of detection. I have several units of two different models of Reconyx game cams which utilize an IR flash. I can assure you, after years of deploying them and thousands of pictures of wildlife, that many animals can see into the IR range.

Anyone can see most game camera's IR it's just red LED's.

@BFSleuth,

@madison5716

@DWA

(Sorry, folks, I don't know how to use the multi-quoting options yet.)

Thanks for the info on hunting from horseback. I never thought of it

as 4-footed, hooved animals can easily approach each other as non-

threatening. Makes sense. Explains the Patty surprise.

Anyone can see most game camera's IR it's just red LED's.

Eh, not completely. That's a simplification of a misunderstanding. You're only SEEING the red because the LED's emit over a broad enough spectrum/range that while it's throwing out a lot more light you CAN'T see, it's also throwing off just enough at the top end of the visible spectrum that you CAN see it.

There are other IR emiters beginning in the 940nm range and UP, that you'll NOT see any visible light (red glow) from.

Still, in game cams, they aren't sitting around putting out IR light all the time and thus the bigfoot sees them and avoids them. If they're close enough to SEE the red flash, they've just gotten their picture taken.

Edited by GuyInIndiana

The kind used on the show can't be seen.

Look at your television remote and push the button. After that watch it through the camera on your phone while pushing the button.

No they have a small crew when they go out, and it's ten times more stealthy than Roger Patterson's old horseback film crew.

A dozen or more people running around with blaring walkie-talkies, cameras, lights, sound gear, etc is more stealthy than 2 guys on horseback with a tiny hand-held camera? :o

Edited by Mulder

The kind used on the show can't be seen.

And you know this how?

A dozen or more people running around with blaring walkie-talkies, cameras, lights, sound gear, etc is more stealthy than 2 guys on horseback with a tiny hand-held camera? :o

This has been said to him repeatidly... he just doesn't get that it's an entertainment show: not legit research.